Your President writes:
All change for the New Year
After months of worrying about finding suitable presents for all the family, weeks of leafing through cookery books deciding on the Christmas lunch menu, and days spent on the rather pleasant task of choosing the best wine to go with each course… it’s all over! And everything seemed to be finished in a lot less time than it took to prepare.
Now the dining room and the lounge have been cleaned, the dishwasher has worked hard, and the white table linen is again sparkling and ironed. All that is left from those weeks of hard work are the Christmas tree, and of course the Crib.
Now it is 2017 and everything will change. Obama will become Trump, perhaps war will become peace, Holland may undergo massive political upheavals, and perhaps in the end Britain will remain a part of Europe. We need to believe in good things for a better life.
Soon it will be our AGM, and Skål Brighton, Sussex and the Channel will have a new President. So this is the last time I will be writing these notes. And I want to finish by wishing you and your families all the best for the coming year. Happy New Year everyone !
ALL READY FOR OUR AGM
Don’t forget our AGM will be held on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 at the Lansdowne Hotel, King Edward’s Parade, Eastbourne BN21 4EE commencing at 11.30. Coffee will be served at 11.00. The AGM will be followed at 1.00 with a Burns lunch including a choice of Scottish dishes on the menu. Traditional Scottish music will be imported from France by Eric Etienne, and equally traditional will be the Address to the Haggis. Please let Philip Ayers know if you will be attending.
As well as the normal officer reports at the AGM, the Agenda will include the election of Council members as already standing and the nomination of a 2nd Vice President. If there are no nominations for a position, they may be made from the floor at the AGM.
The Presidential Handover lunch will be held at The Star, Alfriston on Sunday, 26 February. A walking tour of Rye plus lunch at Webbes, Rye is organised for 25 March.
Full details to follow but to make sure you do not miss these events put the dates in your new diaries.
YOUR COUNCIL DISCUSSED…
Subscriptions for 2017 were agreed at the Council meeting which followed the Christmas lunch; details of these have already been circulated by our Treasurer, Philip Ayers. As a general rule, members will each be paying an additional £5 this year.
Details of the Handover Lunch at The Star in Alfriston on 26th February were agreed: a buffet lunch in a private room on the first floor but with no lift access. The March meeting will be a lunch at Webbes Restaurant in Rye.
A CHRISTMAS TREAT
Fourteen of us attended the Christmas lunch held in a private room – which was beautifully decorated with Christmas hats and crackers - at the Cooden Beach Hotel on Saturday 10th December, write Sally Gray.
As usual, the meal was excellent with a choice of seasonal or non-seasonal fare. Proprietor and member James Kimber was present and thanks to him for a complimentary glass of wine and liqueur. Thanks also to Marianne Roland for arranging the raffle.
It is a shame there were not so many attending as in the past, but Southern Rail and the unions have a lot to answer for.
PROGRAMME OF EVENTS
- January – Sunday 22: AGM and Burns Lunch, Lansdowne Hotel, King Edward Parade, Eastbourne, E Sussex BN21 4EE. Tel: 01323 725174. Cost: £26.00. Time: 11.00 for coffee; 11.30 AGM; 1pm Lunch.
- February – Saturday 25: Eastbourne Hospitality Association Dinner, Hydro Hotel, Eastbourne, East Sussex. Time: TBA. Cost: TBA.
- February – Sunday 26: Presidential Handover lunch at The Star Inn, Alfriston. Cost: £24. Time 12.30 for 1pm.
- March – Saturday 25: Walking tour of Rye plus Lunch at Webbes, Rye. Cost: Lunch £24, optional cost for walking tour. Time 12.15 for 12.45.
- April – Friday 28: International Day evening meal at Old Tollgate Hotel, Bramber BN44 3WE. Tel: 01903 879494. Cost and Time TBA.
- May – Saturday 20: Visit to Cote d’Opale, Escalles, France. Lunch at Restaurant Le Cap.
- June – Thursday 15: Fish & Chips Lunch and visit to Spa Valley Railway, Royal Tunbridge Wells.
- July – Sunday 16: President’s Garden Party, Old Rectory, Litlington.
- August: Tripartite Meeting with Oxford and Southampton.
- September – Friday 22/24: National Assembly hosted by Brighton, Sussex and The Channel. Lansdowne Hotel, Eastbourne – visit to Brighton
- October: Skittles
- November – Saturday 11: President’s Gala Night, Cooden Beach Hotel.
- December – 2 or 3: Christmas Lunch Party, Litlington.